Re: "Installing GCC" documentation: Why a nonstandard title page?

Brooks Moses wrote:
However, this seems to be hardcoding something that texinfo has perfectly good macros for, and it's also missing the standard GCC-manual subtitle; the usual form is:

@titlepage
@title Installing GCC
@subtitle for GCC version @value{version-GCC}

Actually, having looked at a few others just now, I was a bit hasty in thinking that was standard -- that particular example is what cpp.texi uses, but nothing else is quite the same.

Given that the _real_ situation seems to be that no two manuals have the same title format (except for gcc.texi and gccint.texi), are there any opinions on me coming up with a standard format for this, and proposing a patch to standardize them?

In particular, the CPP subtitle of "for GCC version..." seems to me to be a useful thing to put on the cover, but in most of the manuals the version number hides in the small print on the copyright page, if it's anywhere at all. Is there some good reason for hiding it there?

- Brooks