Re: GCC 4.1.2 RC2

Joe Buck wrote:

>> If KDE doesn't use throw(), or visibility attributees, that's a
>> failing in KDE, not the compiler.
>
> Will 4.1.2 be worse than 4.1.1 for code that has these kinds of failings?

Yes.  On workstation and server systems, most of the issue will be
somewhat larger binaries.  On embedded systems, code space is more
precious, so there might be more impact.  The impact will be greatest on
SJLJ systems with shared libraries if such things exist.

However, there are as far as I know, zero reports of this as an actual
problem in practice.  Any impact is likely to vary greatly from library
to library.  And, many users concerned about code size are going to have
turned off EH altogether.  So, I don't think we should further hold
things up.

> If so, then it might be better to push the fix that allows overrides that
> throw back to 4.2, and circulate warnings to affected projects that they
> will want to use throw() and attributes more, giving them until 4.2 to fix
> any issues found.

I don't think that's very practical.  We'd have to back out some of the
other changes that were made since 4.1.1, and in so doing we'd lose bug
fixes for (other) correctness issues.

Thanks,

--
Mark Mitchell