Re: [RFC] Our release cycles are getting longer

Marcin Dalecki wrote:
A trivial by nature change like the
top level build of libgcc took actually years to come by.

I'm not sure how much that's inherently evidence that it was inappropriately difficult to do, though.

For example, the quite trivial change of having "make pdf" support for creating decently usable PDF documentation also took quite a number of years to come by, counting from the first messages I found in the list archives that suggested that it would be a good idea. However, I think I spent less than eight hours total on implementing it, testing it, getting it through the necessary red tape for approval, and committing the final patch. There weren't any technical difficulties in the way at all.

- Brooks