Re: Miscompilation of remainder expressions

Robert Dewar wrote:
Roberto Bagnara wrote:
Reading the thread "Autoconf manual's coverage of signed integer
overflow & portability" I was horrified to discover about GCC's
miscompilation of the remainder expression that causes INT_MIN % -1
to cause a SIGFPE on CPUs of the i386 family.  Are there plans to
fix this bug (which, to me, looks quite serious)?
All the best,

Roberto

P.S. I checked whether this bug affects my code and it does.
      Before yesterday I was completely unsuspecting of such
      a fundamental flaw... I wonder how many know about it.

It's truly amazing for real code to be computing remainders in this domain ... seems a bad idea to me, since very few people are comfortably aware of what remainder means for such cases.

Everyone knows that dividing a number by -1 or 1 gives a 0 remainder. To the contrary, no one expects a%b to raise SIFPE when b != 0.

--
Prof. Roberto Bagnara
Computer Science Group