Re: debugging capabilities on AIX ?

>>>>> Olivier Hainque writes:

Olivier> Working on GCC 4 based GNAT port for AIX 5.[23], our testsuite to
Olivier> evaluate GDB (6.4) debugging capabilities currently yields very
Olivier> unpleasant results compared to what we obtain with a GCC 3.4 based
Olivier> compiler (80+ extra failures out of 1800+ tests).

Olivier> We so far presumed that this is caused by limitations in the
Olivier> XCOFF/STABS debug info format more heavily exposed by the many great
Olivier> compiler improvements between 3.4 and 4.x.

Olivier> I'd appreciate feedback on general questions from these observations:

Olivier> Is it generally known/expected that xcoff/stabs debugging capabilities
Olivier> degrade when moving from 3.4 to 4.x ?

	Yes.  I recompile files without optimization for debugging to
disable the transformations that confuse debugging.

Olivier> If yes, how is that considered by AIX GCC developers ? (how serious the
Olivier> issue, is it fixable, are there plans/attempts to move to DWARF2, ...)

	The reaction varies with developer. AIX continues to use
xcoff/stabs.  The feedback of AIX users to IBM sales representatives and
executives will determine the response.

David