Re: Tricky(?) aliasing question.

Mike Stump <mrs@apple.com> writes:

> On Jan 11, 2007, at 6:30 AM, Sergei Organov wrote:
>> So "h1.f" is not an object? If it is not, it brings us back to the
>> validity of my boo() function from the initial post, for which 2
>> persons
>> (3 including me) thought it's OK:
>
> Would be nice for you to raise the issue directly with the C standards
> committee...  Would be nice to see them improve the wording  in the
> tricky corners.

Actually, this particular issue (the boo() validity) is gone, I think,
as Andrew explained it quite clear, at least for me.

On the other hand, I have no doubts that "h1.f" is an object by
definition:

"object: region of data storage in the execution environment, the
 contents of which can represent values"

BTW, I've tried once to raise similar aliasing question in
comp.std.c++. The result was that somebody started to talk about
validity of pointers conversions that IMHO has nothing to do with strict
aliasing, and the discussion died.

-- Sergei.