Re: Mis-handled ColdFire submission?

On Jan 10, 2007, at 1:13 PM, Richard Sandiford wrote:
I just wanted to guage the general feeling as to whether I'd screwed up, and whether I should have submitted the patches in a different way.

I don't see a trivial way that is strictly better. The problem is that some folks don't want the huge patch and some folks don't like the spray of 60. Hard to please both at once. One strategy that might be better would be to do them up on a development branch and submit one patch at a time as you develop them and then when all is said and done and all reviewed and approved, just merge it in.

I'm used to this style from the Ada folks, and I've managed to find the 1 or 2 patches I was interested in taking a closer look at, so I don't think the spray of 60 is all that unreasonable. I do think trying to avoid patch spray is a noble goal... though, I do think it is easier to review as 60 as opposed to 1 compressed tar file.

I too look forward to what others might say on the matter, as I'm going to be contributing lots of Objective-C patches at some point in the near feature I hope. I'll probably just do it as a few, larger combo patches (1-5) to ease the pain of it all for me. :-( People can take this opportunity to complain in advance if they wish.