Re: distributing g++

On Friday 15 December 2006 22:30, Ferad Zyulkyarov wrote:
> Hi
>
> > What are the standard practices with installing multiple versions of gcc
> > on a system. I renamed this gcc to be gcc-4.1. However, it looks like it
> > will still overwrite some files when I do 'make install'. Is this true?
>
> As far as I know, "make install" does not overwrite any files if there
> is not a previous version at the default installation path or the
> directory specified by the prefix switch.
>
> > How do people put multiple version on the same machine?
>
> In my case, I just use different installation path with the --prefixe
> switch, i.e. /home/username/gcc-4.1, /home/username/gcc-4.2 ...

Me too. Then I populate /usr/bin, /usr/lib with symlinks pointing to
/whereever/gcc-N.M/bin/*, /whereever/gcc-N.M/lib/*.so* etc.

> > Second, say I wanted to tar up a release of gcc that i've built for
> > others to use. When the other user downloads and untars the file on
> > there filesystem in an arbitrary point, I'm assumming it won't work
> > because it's not in the --prefix=.. directory.
>
> I think it should work because the library paths are relative to the
> gcc, g++ executable.

Doesn't work: renamed gcc-4.1.1 directory to gcc-4.1.1-, re-symlinked
everyting as described above. gcc -v woks, but:

1.1 directory to

# gcc t.c
gcc: error trying to exec 'cc1': execvp: No such file or directory