Re: distributing g++

On Fri, Dec 15, 2006 at 12:35:23PM -0800, Brian Dessent wrote:
> Bob Rossi wrote:
>
> > Since i've used a prefix, I'm assumming gcc wants to be installed where
> > I told it to be. I'm wondering 2 things.
>
> It's not supposed to be that way.  The toolchain is supposed to be
> relocatable for MinGW targets.  I don't know if it currently is, but
> read the past threads on the topic first:
>
> <http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2006-04/threads.html#00227>
> <http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2006-04/threads.html#00441>
>
> Ranjit Mathew also has a web page somewhere describing what steps and/or
> patches are necessary to get a relocatable toolchain.  But I think he
> does a crossed-native (canadian) build for speed reasons, so that may
> complicate the procedure.

OK, I followed this tutorial I believe.
http://rmathew.com/articles/gcj/bldgcj.html
the section "Building a Native Compiler".

I ran this,

#!/bin/sh

tar -zxvf gcc-core-4.1.1.tar.gz
tar -zxvf gcc-g++-4.1.1.tar.gz

mkdir builddir
cd builddir
../gcc-4.1.1/configure --prefix=/mingw --host=mingw32 \
  --target=mingw32 --program-prefix="" \
  --program-suffix="-4.1" --with-gcc --with-gnu-ld --with-gnu-as --enable-threads --disable-nls \
  --enable-languages=c,c++ --disable-win32-registry --disable-shared --without-x \
  --enable-interpreter --enable-hash-synchronization --enable-libstdcxx-debug \
  2>&1 | tee configure-out.txt
make bootstrap 2>&1 | tee make-out.txt
make DESTDIR=/home/bobbybrasko/g++-4.1-relocatable install

$ ls /home/bobbybrasko/g++-4.1-relocatable
mingw

$ ls /home/bobbybrasko/g++-4.1-relocatable/mingw
bin  include  info  lib  libexec  man  share

Am I doing the correct thing here? Pretend this isn't mingw even, would
this be the correct way to do this for native linux?

Now, How would I tar this up so that it could be relocatable?

Thanks,
Bob Rossi