Re: Question on BOOT_CFLAGS vs. CFLAGS

On 2006-12-15, at 18:27, Mike Stump wrote:

On Dec 15, 2006, at 1:56 AM, Andrew Pinski wrote:
For BOOT_CFLAGS and STAGE1_CFLAGS, if we change them to be affected by
CFLAGS, we are going to run into issues where the compiler you are
building with understand an option but the bootstrapping one does not.
An example of this is building GCC with a non GCC compiler. So how do
we handle that case, we split out STAGE1_CFLAGS and BOOT_CFLAGS.

This proves the necessity of two different controls, namely BOOT_CFLAGS and STAGE1_CFLAGS.

For consitency I would propose to use the name STAGE0_CFLAGS instead of BOOT_CFLAGS,
because the stages are actually enumerated in a sequence anyway.

Marcin Dalecki