Re: messages in objective-C

On Wed, 2006-12-06 at 17:19 +0100, Come Lonfils wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm trying to know more about how messages are send to the objects in objective-C
Messages are send via a dynamic lookup using strings.
For the GNU runtime, objc_msg_lookup is called to get the function
pointer and then we cast it to the "correct" type and calls the function
pointer.

> , how they are store,...

At runtime, they are stored in a hashtable (at least for the GNU
runtime) for most cases.

> In which structures en how?
MethodList_t at the startup time in the GNU runtime (as defined in
objc/objc-api.h in libobjc).

> Where should I look in the source code of gcc to know it?

objc-act.c

I don't know how much about how the NeXT runtime works except instead of
a function pointer, it uses a call to a function to call the messages.

Thanks,
Andrew Pinski