Re: building gcc4-4.3.0-20061104/11 failure on OSX 10.3

Thanks for the answers.

> Please remove your changes from your tree, re-pull the current
> mainline and try building again.  See my posting test results posting
> in http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-testresults/2006-11/msg00708.html for
> details on how I got those results.   You don't have to apply the
> referenced patch, as I already checked it into mainline.

I am not really maintaining a tree.  Usually I download the weekly snapshot
(due tomorrow) and do the buils through a modified Fink script.  If I have
a problem, I look if I can solve it by small changes in the script.  If the
problem comes from the snapshot itself, I cry for help and without answer I
do what I did, i.e. try some patches, but I do my best to avoid that.
Unless there is an emergency I do not foresee, I'll try with the 20061118
snapshot in which the patch should be included (I have seen it in CVS).

> You can run as -v to see what version of cctools you have.

Apple Computer, Inc. version cctools-590.36~obj, GNU assembler version 1.38

Note that I have also

[karma] f90/bug% /sw/lib/odcctools-10.4/bin/ld -v
Apple Computer, Inc. version odcctools-622.3od15

(copied from my 10.4 laptop) though I never used it under 10.3.  The Fink
script use several --with-xx  to look at the tools (ld, as, nm, libtool, ...)
in a separate directory.  I have added a few more without solving the
problem.  It seems that the with-* mechanism is not fully implemented since
there is a hardcoded /usr/bin/libtool in gcc/config/darwin.h and a default
(from path) nm in libstdc++-v3/scripts/make_exports.pl.  I don't know if
there are other instances for other commands (I grepped 'strip' in the
hierarchy, but had too many outputs to really use them).

> Let me know if that works for you.
I should have an answer by next Monday.

> > Mike was considering simply declaring that GCC 4.3 won't work on
> > Mac OS 10.3.
>
> No, not really.  I'll declare that using things older than 10.3.9 are
> gonna be hard, as the required cctools package was built for 10.3.9,
> however, if one gets the sources for cctools and builds them on older
> releases, one might be able to go back father.  I don't think I care
> enough to do that much work.

I am under 10.3.9 and I think the requirement to have it + cctools-590.36
is reasonable.

> > 10.3 is quite old now, and there will be very few users by the time
> > that 4.3 is released.
>
> I tested it out on mainline and it works just fine (now).  :-)

I'ld prefer you wait until the 10.5 release, before declaring GCC 4.3
won't work on OSX 10.3.

Thanks

Dominique