Re: build gcc with distcc

Hello
Le/On Fri, Nov 17, 2006 at 07:26:55AM +0000, Weidong Cui écrivait/wrote:

>  I am trying to build gcc with distcc on 3 linux
>  boxes. But when I build gcc  with option '--enable-bootstrap',
>  the 'distcc' doesn't work. So I disabled bootstrap , then 'distcc'
>  worked effective.

No distcc does work, but not for the bootstrap stage (which cannot be
easily distributed). For the previous stages (like stage1) it does
work.

>  My question is: how to build gcc bootstrap with  distcc correctly.
>                                   ^^^^^^^^^

I believe it is impossible in the general case. bootstrap means to
compile GCC source code with a GCC compiler just built from the same
source code. Hence, to distribute this compilation with distcc, you'll
need to send the (stage1 compiled) GCC binaries on the network, and
distcc is not able to send binary programs. (If you'll extend distcc
to send binary programs - a non trivial task -, you open a new can of
worms, and you'll need to tackle potential security issues).

So a distributed build has to also distribute files, for example by
sharing a common distributed file system. OF course details are
complex.

Regards.