Re: compiling very large functions.

Kenneth Zadeck wrote:

I actually think that you small talk example is the exception and not
the rule.  I would guess that the vast majority of very large functions
are machine generated simulations where the optimizer most likely
provides little benefit.

Wouldn't it be best to base this discussion on data rather than guesses as to what "most likely" happens. Seems to me that the first step here is taking some of these large functions and compiling them with various optimizations enabled or disabled.