Re: Handling of extern inline in c99 mode

Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

Here is a review followed by a proposal.

How does this proposal handle the current problematic situation that -std=c99 is broken on Linux?

We could either revert Geoff's patch, or conditionalize it on Linux. I'd argue against the latter approach (which is what I believe Geoff posted), in that it would break one of the key advantages of GCC: that the compiler behaves the same way on multiple systems.

I think the proposal is as good as we can do, given the box that we're in (and let this be a caution to us with respect to implementing extensions before standardization, especially without use of GNU keywords/syntax), but I think we should preserve both cross-system compatibility and Linux compilation in the meanwhile.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery