Re: build failure, GMP not available

On Oct 31, 2006, Paul Brook <paul@codesourcery.com> wrote:

> In my experience the first thing you do bringing up a new system is build a
> cross compiler and use that to build glibc and coreutils/busybox. This is all
> done on an established host that has gmp/mpfr ported to it.
> Bootstrapping a native compiler comes quite late in system bringup, and only
> happens at all on server/workstation-class hardware.

But then, for those, if you want to make sure you got a reproducible
build, you'll want to cross-build gmp and mpfr, cross-build a native
toolchain, bootstrap it, build gmp and mpfr with it and then bootstrap
again.

It would be *so* much nicer if one could just drop gmp and mpfr into
the GCC source tree and we'd use it during bootstrap.

Secretary for FSF Latin America        http://www.fsfla.org/