Re: build failure, GMP not available

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006, Geoffrey Keating wrote:

> > I'd like to point out that the powerpc-darwin reports we were getting
> > from the regression tester prior to this requirement were not
> > including gfortran results:
> > http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-testresults/2006-10/msg01062.html
> >
> > One of the benefits IMHO of requiring gmp/mpfr is that fortran how
> > always works regardless.  I hope once you get these libraries
> > installed that you add back fortran to the languages tested on both
> > x86 and powerpc.
>
> My policy is that I do not add or remove languages (or multilibs,
> testcases, patches, libraries, configure flags, or anything else).
> What gets built and tested is '.../configure && make'.  That way (a)  I
> know I'm testing the default which is presumably what most people use
> and (b) I don't have to deal with time-consuming arguments about what
> should or should not be in the tester.

Understood.  However once you get gmp/mpfr installed and pass in the
appropriate with-gmp= directory, fortran should be on by default since I
took out the "need_gmp" checks in gcc-4.3.  If you avoid passing an
--enable-languages configure flag that takes it out, it'll be in the
default.  Older releases may also simply work if you merely tell gcc
where to find gmp/mpfr.

I don't know if telling older gcc release where to find gmp/mpfr violates
your "policy".  But since you have to do it for 4.3, you can be excused
for "cheating" a little. :-)

		--Kaveh
--
Kaveh R. Ghazi			ghazi@caip.rutgers.edu