Re: automatic --disable-multilib

On Oct 9, 2006, at 2:24 PM, Geoffrey Keating wrote:

Jack Howarth <howarth@bromo.msbb.uc.edu> writes:

   Shouldn't configure in gcc be made to
automatically test if -m64 is working on
the build machine in question and automatically
invoke --disable-multilib if not? Currently
on Darwin for example we have to explicitly
invoke --disable-multilib when building on
G4's or non-EMT64 Macintel machines. It would
much better if configure would automatically
handle this.

I believe trying to disable the multilib is fundamentally the wrong approach. I have posted a patch which I believe is the correct approach to the automake list, where it is awaiting review.

You might want to ping it, it's been awaiting review for a while.

Peter