Re: S/390 as GCC 4.3 secondary plattform?

Hello Everyone,

> In the criteria for primary plattforms I've read that primary plattforms
> have to be "popular systems". Reading this as "widely used" I think that
> this will be a requirement which mainframes are unlikely to meet in the
> near future, so I propose to make s390 and s390x secondary plattforms for

> now. I think this can be important to show users that gcc works reliably
on
> S/390 and that it can be expected to do so in the future as well.

I agree and would like to add that with respect to the s390 platform one
should consider that "popular" and "widely used" cannot have the same
meaning as, for example, in the context of computers for personal use.

The s390 back end does not only compile any Linux-related software
on IBM System z but also the system´s Firmware (the software layer between
operating system and hardware). So, every System z machine uses code
generated by gcc, even if there if the system does not yet run Linux.

Regards, Wolfgang