DWARF2 DW_TAG_base_type for void?

Hi,

I have some third party code with the following
typedef:

typedef void VOID;

I found in the readelf dump of the .debug_info section
that the corresponding DW_TAG_typedef entry had no
DW_AT_type attribute (which usually links to a
DW_TAG_base_type entry).  It seems that gcc does not
emit a DW_TAG_base_type entry for void.  Is that
intentional?

In this program there are only DW_TAG_pointer_type
entries linking to this DW_TAG_typedef entry.  Without
the typedef, I would have expected (perhaps naively)
that the DW_TAG_pointer_type would link to a
DW_TAG_base_type for void (in the case of a void *
pointer type).  Is that not the case?

I am using gcc 4.0.3 and binutils 2.16.1 in case that
matters.

Just curious.

Ron McCall