gets is not too dangerous

Hello:

We are students of computer sciences in the Santa Maria University, Chile. We just want to know if the function "gets" it's too dangerous for a warning. The fact is that our teacher's assistant give us a homework, and one restriction was to use gcc to compile our code, without warnings.
We ask you for a simple explanation (if it's possible) about our warning, telling that "gets" is not too dangerous, because in our case, works perfectly, under some restrictions obviously.

Please send us a notification for our teacher's assistant, and that way don't have a discount in our qualification.

Thankfully

Francisco Gutierrez J &
Miguel Champin C.
Students of enginieering in computer sciences. UTFSM (www.utfsm.cl)