Re: type consistency of gimple

Daniel Berlin wrote on 08/14/06 09:04:

> If this is a cleanup we actually want done, IMHO, we should do it first.

Agreed.  This is a good opportunity for us to design a GIMPLE type
system.  Besides the obvious space savings and cleanliness, it is also
needed to remove lang_hooks.types_compatible_p.

Jeff's point about our optimizers is also true.  Nick, remember that
issue with MIPS optimizations you were discussing with Jeff a few days
ago?  I didn't follow most of the details, but it involved ivopts and
sign issues.  Could you send a summary?

If we had a GIMPLE type-system, we could allow the implicit type
conversions.  However, having implicit type conversions implies having
types associated with expression tree leaves.  Space-wise, it's best if
we can have types at expression tree roots.