status of IPA in gcc trunk?

   Is there a wiki gcc page which accurately describes the
current status of IPA in gcc trunk? I have run across a
fortran benchmark which exhibits a huge improvement from
IPA when compiled on XL Fortran. I would like to attempt
to use the current IPA support in gcc trunk with gfortran
but it doesn't seem to be well documented. I was under the
impression that the gcc IPA would require collection of
profiling results which would then be used in a successive
compilation to implement the IPA optimizations. However
I can't find the process documented clearly anywhere.
Thanks in advance for any information.
          Jack
ps Does each front-end have to be modified to use IPA or
will they automatically use it once it is added to gcc
trunk?