GCC 4.1 Status Report (2006-04-16)

I've now reviewed the open regressions against the GCC 4.1 branch.
There are 101 "serious" (P3 or higher) regressions against GCC 4.1, the
vast majority of which also apply to 4.2.  Therefore, fixing these
regressions provides a double benefit: both the release branch and the
next release will be improved.

There are 16 P1s, most of which are wrong-code or ICE-on-valid
regressions.  The C++ front-end is to blame for four of those
regressions; the remainder are the middle end and back end.  As
indicated by their P1 status, I would like to see these issues fixed
before the 4.1.1 release.  (Of course, it would be nice to get the
remaining issues resolved as well.)

By our development plan, we'd expect a 4.1.1 release on April 28th, two
months after 4.1.0.  I don't believe that's achievable, if we are to fix
the P1s, but I would hope that May 15th would be achievable; that gives
us two weeks to fix regressions, and then two weeks for freeze,
release-candidates, etc.  Because the release branches tend not to
regress, I think it's safe to set May 15th as a relatively firm date; if
the P1s are not fixed by then, we will help our users more by releasing
4.1.1 than by waiting indefinitely.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery