Re: GCC Port (gcc backend) for Microchip PICMicro microcontroller

FranÃois Poulain wrote:

If I'm right, here are copyright assignments to FSF for the Microchip's
contributions for GCC.

Unfortunately, this is not good enough. A copyright assignment is a formal contract that must be physically signed and sent to the FSF. See <http://gcc.gnu.org/contribute.html#legal> for details.

Since as far as I can tell John Elliot has not attempted to include his changes in the official FSF GCC, it is very that he has a copyright assignment. Any work based on work by him would require an assignment from him also--and most likely his employer, Microchip.

There is an official list somewhere of who has copyright assignments on file. Alternately, whatever work he has done were thought to be valuable, someone could just email him and ask. :)