Front end best practice in GCC 4.1.0?

I'm fiddling around with a GCC 4 front-end tutorial that would be more
detailed and hands-on than anything I've found so far on the web.  It's
a bit like the blind leading the blind, but it makes me learn better and
while I'm learning it I don't mind writing it up, but after I learn it
I've got better things to do.

At the moment I'm just working on understanding the GCC build system,
which appears to merit a book in itself (I, however, won't be writing
it. :-)

The question is, which front ends are regarded as being good exemplars
of style in GCC 4 and which are burdened with legacy code that shouldn't
be duplicated in a new project?  I gather that at one time the obvious
choice, treelang, wasn't all that pretty and the fortran front end was
suggested as better, but that was somewhat dated news.

All suggestions welcome.

Dustin