incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'exit'

   I am trying to compile some fairly old legacy c code with gcc 4.1
in FC5 and have been able to eliminate all the compiler warnings save
one...

warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'exit'

...which is repeated through the compilation of the sources. I can
google lots of build logs with this warning but haven't been able
to get any hits on patches or fixes to eliminate the warning. Thanks
in advance for any hints.
           Jack