RE: Problem with pex-win32.c

On 14 March 2006 18:52, Ross Ridge wrote:

>> Here is a sample program which does the right thing (no spurious console
>> windows, all output visible) when run either from a console or from a
>> console-free environment, such as a Cygwin xterm.  This is the code
>> we'll be working into libiberty -- unless someone has a better solution!
>
> The potential problem I see is in all the code you haven't written yet.
> There's a fair amount of work that the MSVCRT library does that isn't
> reflected in your code, like PATH searching, adding filename suffixes
> (eg. ".EXE"), and converting the argv array into a command tail.

  I don't understand why you think Mark's code needs to search the PATH or
append '.exe', when it invokes CreateProcess that does all that for you?

> Is this really worth it?  Could this whole problem be solved by you
> switching to rxvt?  Maybe the only problem is that your xterm is broken.

  Nothing is "broken".  The problem is that Cygwin applications run in a
slightly special environment, where there may not be a console attached to the
shell window.  This is not a problem for cygwin apps, but it can be for
non-cygwin-aware apps launched from inside cygwin's 'special' environment that
may assume that the standard win32 assumptions hold.  This is a consequence of
cygwin providing features over and above the underlying OS: software written
for the underlying OS can't be aware of every possible OS extension.

    cheers,
      DaveK