emit-rtl.c: 5048 assert

All-
I'm having problems with an assert on line 5048 of emit-rtl.c

      gcc_assert (i < MAX_RECOG_OPERANDS);

The assert is in the copy_insn_1() function and is asserted when the
number of copied scratch registers exceeds MAX_RECOG_OPERANDS.  For my
particular machine (IA-64) this number is 30.  This happens when I make a
call to duplicate_block() in my code.

I've just started the debugging process and was just wondering if there
was a simple way (besides recursing through the expression) to check for
the number of scatch registers used by an instruction?

 Thanks,
   Chad