scripting interface to GCC ?

Hello GCC developers,

Has anyone ever tried to build a scripting interface into the guts of
GCC with something like SWIG ?

I am currently working on a program where I want to embed a portion of
another program into my project. It would be very nice if I could use a
static call graph from my entry points to hoist out the code I need.

I know that for non-technical reasons gcc has not been modularized in
the past (from a reading of digests). But how about taking a swig like
approach where a scripting interface is bolted onto the guts of the
compiler ?

For now I will probably try and strip off the dead-code from the object
files after compilation to avoid the complexity of figuring dependencies
at a source level, but I wondered if the idea resonated with any of the
experts here.

cheers,
Mike Mattie