does gcc 4.1 generate "faster" binaries than earlier gcc versions?

Perhaps the question is a bit silly, but I thought I'd ask it anyway.

I'm compiling some software for a Linux/uClibc on a mipsel platform.

Right now I'm using gcc 3.4.4 to do both native and cross-compilation.

A while ago gcc 4.1 was released, and boasts many optimizations.

As the mipsel devices I use are rather slow - here comes the point of my question: will binaries I compile with gcc 4.1 be faster than these compiled with 3.4.4?

I don't really care about compilation time; I'm only concerned with the speed of the binaries made with gcc 3.4.4 and 4.1 (i.e., will gzip compiled with gcc 4.1 compress a given file faster than gzip compressed with gcc 3.4.4).

I tried looking for some benchmarks, but they mainly deal with compilation time.

-- Tomasz Chmielewski WPKG - http://wpkg.org Software deployment with Samba