Re: Reconsidering gcjx

>>>>> "Laurent" == Laurent GUERBY <laurent@guerby.net> writes:

Laurent> If someone comes up with an old JVM that misrun java in GCC
Laurent> and there's no easy obvious workaround, will you cancel the
Laurent> java project or just tell the user to install a known to work
Laurent> JVM from the GCC install documentation? Will the 3.0 gcj and
Laurent> runtime be enough for it to work?

I assume these questions come from previous Ada bootstrap issues.

Please, let's not get overly involved in comparing this plan to Ada.
I know it is similar, but it is also different in some important ways.

The fix for the problem you outline is not very hard.  All you need
are the .class files corresponding to the .java files in your source
tree.  These can be made on any machine with any java bytecode
compiler that works.  Currently this would include the already
existing gcj... but seeing as one of the major features of this
proposed change is fixing a ton of front end bugs, I would guess that
eventually this will no longer work.  But even in this case you can
run ecj today on gij.  And, you can download ecj jars from
eclipse.org.

This is pretty much like ordinary compiler bootstrapping, except you
don't need a cross toolchain, since the needed intermediate results
are machine-independent.

Tom