Re: issue with references to weak symbols in PIEs

On Jan 25, 2006, at 8:49 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
we were playing with arrays of pointers to weak functions in a utility program
when we noticed the code started crashing whenever built with a Gentoo
hardened toolchain. Gentoo vanilla toolchains would produce code that ran
nicely and as expected. tracing it back, the references to the undefined
weak functions were not being set to NULL as they should have been. then we
reproduced the issue with a Gentoo vanilla toolchain by simply building the
test code as a PIE. i'm not sure if this is an issue in gcc or glibc ldso or
a bug at all (i'm pretty sure it's a bug), so i'm starting with gcc :)

Well please look at the code generation that GCC does. It is correct. movq ptr_to_func(%rip), %rsi

-- Pinski