Re: Status and rationale for toplevel bootstrap (was Re: Example of debugging GCC with toplevel bootstrap)

    > Why would somebody ever want to *disable* it? If you don't want to
    > bootstrap, you just don't *do* it!

    Oh come on.  This is semantics.  --disable-bootstrap is the equivalent
    of not doing it.

I don't follow.  If I don't want to bootstrap, I won't say "make bootstrap".
Why do I need a configure option to *prevent* me from saying that?

  - People want to build libgcc at a separate time for the compiler.

So?  What does that have to do with where it lives?  The libada directory
is a perfect example of how you can do both.

  - The current build system has piles of cruft related to the fact
    that half of the GCC subdirectory is built using a different
    compiler than the other half.

Again I don't follow.  The only part that's built with a different compiler,
as far as I know, is libgcc.  And that can be a subdirectory of GCC
(like ada/rts) to fix it.

  - The current layout is a mess and very hard to untangle from the
    compiler proper.

I'm sure some people think the new layout is a mess too ..