Re: selection or target tools

Gunther Nikl wrote:

On Fri, Dec 23, 2005 at 10:10:01AM +0100, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

2) look into the --with-build-tools path, for both a Canadian cross and a native build. This defaults to $exec_prefix/$target/bin, so the default build tools (used in autoconf tests and by the being-built GCC) would be, if found, something like /usr/local/i686-pc-linux-gnu/bin/{ar,as,ld,...}. These would be "naked" names, not $target-prefixed, even when building a cross (because they are in a directory named after the target).

If the above isn't restricted to canadian cross, it looks good. This should
apply for a normal cross build as well: (build == host) != target

Yes. My distinction between native and cross, was more referring to whether build == host or not.

We also have the problem of backwards compatibility. I can try to work out a patch to implement --with-build-tools in 4.0 and 4.1 (with the new logic kicking in only if the option is specified, of course).

Why dou you need a backwards compatibility patch for 4.0/4.1?

To provide a One True Way To Specify Build Tools, and make the same scripts usable on every release branch. And because the patch that caused the breakage for your configuration was backported to 4.1.

Paolo