[CFARM] accounts & use

Note: I'll be offline starting friday and up to monday, so if
you want to start hacking on the machines over the week-end
please send me your prefered UNIX and public key AS ATTACHMENT (not
inline) in the next 12 hours.

On Wed, 2005-12-14 at 14:28 +0100, Richard Guenther wrote:
> Do they have accessible webspace or other means of automatically
> publishing results?

If someone has a webserver somewhere and an account on the farm,
the following scheme should work from the webserver:

#!/bin/sh
while true; do
   ssh user@cfarm bin/wait_for_some_result
   scp -C user@cfarm log/latest_result .
   Mail and/or copy to webserver
   ssh user@cfarm bin/result_processed
done

> If so, we could set aside one machine for continuous
> testing of whatever is desired.

We can set most of the machines for continuous testing if we decide to
do so :).

We have enough to do per day (24h) between 30 and 40 native bootstrap
for all languages, takes 4h to boot, 4h to test (on one 1.25GHz Pentium
3), see: http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-testresults/2005-12/msg00569.html

My estimate is that there are about 8 commit per day on branches
(4.0 and 4.1 have identical stats), and about 20 commits per
day on trunk. So we could on average test a posteriori every single
commit on 2 branches + trunk if we put all the machines on it.

But we may want to set aside time to do external project testing,
or to set up a priori patch testing.

May be we can setup a separate svn repository where trusted people could
svn add their patch, have the cluster test patches from this svn repo,
check results and publish a certificate of good health to the patch.

Open to discussion.

Current users of the farm:

Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com>               GCC
François-Xavier Coudert <fxcoudert@gmail.com> GCC
Olly Betts <olly@survex.com>                  http://www.xapian.org/  C++ library
Sebastian Pop <sebastian.pop@cri.ensmp.fr>    GCC
Emmanuel Dreyfus <manu@netbsd.org>            NetBSD
Mike Stein <avr_meister@yahoo.de>             AVR cross & simulator
Roberto Bagnara <bagnara@cs.unipr.it>         http://www.cs.unipr.it/ppl/ C++ library

Olly and Roberto are working on testing their C++ library with
the latest GCC, so they are asking us to set up at least a reference
install in cron.

This will probably not be through a symlink (otherwise
if we change it during someone use that would break things),
I suggested the use of a one line text file somewhere so you
can do at the beginning of library testing script something like:

PATH=$(cat /some/where/LATEST_WORKING_TRUNK):$PATH
minimal_check_that_gcc_does_work_otherwise_abort
many_interesting_things

and /some/where/LATEST_WORKING_TRUNK will be updated with a simple echo
each time a builds is considered succesfull.

Help wanted:

1/ how to do an NFS setup where machine can see each other but don't
freeze / can still boot when other machines are not online.

2/ set up SVK locally on the cluster, with local svn server (and may be
more efficient svn client than the one currently installed.

I'll start more work on this monday.

Laurent