Re: LTO, LLVM, etc.

On 12/5/05, Chris Lattner <clattner@apple.com> wrote:
> That said, having a good representation for source-level exporting is
> clearly useful.  To be perfectly clear, I am not against a source-
> level form, I am just saying that it should be *different* than the
> one used for optimization.

Debug information describes two things: the source program, and its
relationship to the machine code produced by the toolchain.  The
second is much harder to produce; each pass needs to maintain the
relation between the code it produces and the compiler's original
input.  Keeping the two representations separate (which I could easily
see being beneficial for optimization) shifts that burden onto some
new party which isn't being discussed, and which will be quite
complicated.