Re: SVN conversion glitch?

On Nov 30, 2005, at 7:49 AM, Gunther Nikl wrote:
There seem to be more conversion glichtes. I retrieved gcc-2_95-branch
from the svn repository and diffed it with my CVS checkout. The diff
contained lots of differences.
Many files had different CVS $Id strings.

I was told that this is harmless but what is the reason for this difference?

Some (all?) of these were probably caused by changing the cvs repo pre-svn switchover. In cvs these things are not version controlled, and `fixing' them caused newly fetched files to then be different then those same exact files fetched in the past (before they were `fixed') even thoughy one fetches the same exact version. The only solution is to never check in a file without -ko in cvs in the first place. svn improves upon this by having substitutions all off in the first place.

You can see if this is the case by refetching from cvs and then comparing to svn.