Re: svn speed traversing slow filesystems

 > On Mon, Nov 21, 2005 at 10:20:26PM -0500, Kaveh R. Ghazi wrote:
 > > Some OSes (like linux I believe) cache the lookups of the parent
 > > directories so the speedups are not as pronounced.  However GCC is
 > > developed, and SVN is probably used, on many more places than just
 > > linux filesystems.  I know my solaris box would benefit and I
 > > believe others also if the i/o in SVN were switched to use chdir
 > > instead.
 > >
 > > Please consider it.
 >
 > For Solaris, I learned recently, the preferred solution to this
 > problem is actually "openat" and friends.
 > Daniel Jacobowitz

But openat isn't really portable even to solaris2.  E.g. solaris2.7
doesn't have it, but 2.9 does.  I don't know about 2.8.  My linux box
doesn't have it, (but a future version of glibc might...)

I see that coreutils has a replacement for openat et al, but looking
at what the replacement does (constantly using fchdir for each openat)
I don't know if that preserves the speed benefit if you only code to
openat style.  So you may be left with not using the coreutils
replacement and needing to write the chdir version anyway as a backup.

If so, then why not just write using the chdir style and get the
benefit that way?  Less coding, more portable.

		--Kaveh
--
Kaveh R. Ghazi			ghazi@caip.rutgers.edu