Re: LLVM/GCC Integration Proposal

On Sunday 20 November 2005 00:49, Chris Lattner wrote:

> >> Sure, also maybe Fortran?
> >
> > I wouldn't count on it...
>
> Can you explain what you mean?  The context above was speculating about
> the possibility of reducing dependency on the 'tree' data structure.  My
> impression was that Fortran used its own private IR (gfc_expr for example)
> that wasn't based on trees.  I thought that it converted to trees as its
> interface to the rest of GCC, in which case, it is quite possible for it
> to convert to LLVM directly instead.

I think converting the fortran front-end would be easier than writing a
GENRIC->LLVM converter, but not by much. Making the fortran frontend generate
LLVM instead of trees is a fair amount of work, but IMHO doable. Making it
support LLVM *and* trees would be a lot more work, and probably not
worthwhile.

I'm not sure I agree with the original statement. For C++ at least we already
do a fair amount of conversion from "native" language trees to
GENERIC/GIMPLE.

Paul