GCC 4.2

I've reviewed the GCC 4.2 projects on the Wiki.

It certainly looks like some exciting stuff is in the pipeline.

For 4.2, I'm not going to try to be too fine-grained about scheduling
the individual projects; in 4.1, I don't think I added much value by
doing that.  Also, a lot of the project pages didn't have very precise
data about availability.

So, all I did here is separate them into Stage 1 and Stage 2
contributions.  Even then, I don't want to forbid things listed under
Stage 2 from going in under Stage 1, if the Stage 2 things are ready,
but let's give priority to the Stage 1 things.  I put things into Stage
1 that seemed either (a) most risky or (b) most ready.  I'll readily
concede that I may have miscategorized, and it's OK with me if people
just treat the categorization as an informal guideline.

Rather than try to make a fine-grained schedule, I'd like to ask that we
just try to cooperate with each other to avoid destabilizing the
mainline unduly, even through Stage 1.  In particular:

* Please announce major merges of new functionality 24 hours before the
actual merge

* Please allow 24 hours after a major merge before the next major merge

* Please refrain from a major merge if we're currently experiencing
serious stability problems that are being resolved from the previous merge.

As of now, we're in GCC 4.2 Stage 1!

==

Stage 1 Projects

  * Decimal Floating Point

  * GOMP: library, middle-end, C

  * IPA cleanups

  * Load partial redundancy elimination

  * New tree reassociation pass

  * Remove old loop optimizer

  * Section Anchor Optimisations

  * Sign Extension Removal

  * Support for IA-64 speculation

  * Vectorization Enhancements, Part 1

Stage 2 Projects

  * Array references on pointers

  * GOMP: C++, Fortran

  * Induction variable optimizations cleanups

  * IPA on SSA Form

  * Omega data dependence test

  * Record GCC command line switches in object files

  * Replacements for CSE path following

  * Replace backend dataflow

  * Response files

  * Sub-Target specific math routines library

  * Vectorization Enhancements, Parts 2 and onwards.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC