Re: GCC 4.1/4.2 Status Report (2005-11-18)

On Friday 18 November 2005 11:24, Mark Mitchell wrote:

> Great news.  (The GOMP entry on the projects list was just a link to the
> project page; it didn't have this data.)

Yeah, we hadn't updated the status section yet.  I added a paragraph
earlier today.

> It seems like it makes sense to do the library and middle-end first, and
> then the various front-ends in serial?  Do you agree?

Yes.  The mental model is something like this:

1- Thread safety changes for libgfortran.  These are relatively independent
from gomp and Jakub will submit them the minute we branch 4.1.

2- Library and middle end.  This can probably go in on its own, but I would
prefer to commit it together with the C front end.  Otherwise, there won't
be anything to play with.

3- C front end.  This may need a bit of review, though Richard has not
expressed any reservations about it.

4- C++ and Fortran will need a fair bit of in-depth review by FE
maintainers.  I expect these two to take the longest to merge.

> I'd like to have a look at the C++ bits before they go in, but I'll not
> be looking to make life difficult. :-)

:)  Yes, we will probably request quite a bit of help from you folks.