Re: Link-time optimzation

On Nov 17, 2005, at 3:09 PM, Robert Dewar wrote:
Richard Earnshaw wrote:

We spend a lot of time printing out the results of compilation as
assembly language, only to have to parse it all again in the assembler.

I never like arguments which have loaded words like "lot" without
quantification. Just how long *is* spent in this step, is it really
significant?

When I arrived at Apple around 5 years ago, I was told of some recent
measurements that showed the assembler took around 5% of the time.
Don't know if that's still accurate. Of course the speed of the assembler
is also relevant, and our stubs and lazy pointers probably mean Apple's
.s files are bigger than other people's.