Re: Post-Mont-Tremblant mailing

On Sat, Oct 29, 2005 at 11:12:07AM +0000, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
> The Post-Mont-Tremblant WG14 mailing is now available from the WG14
> website.  Particular points of note:
>
> * The current decimal FP draft is now N1150 (no longer N1107 which is the
> version mentioned in svn.html); I don't what what's changed since N1107.

I had noticed on Friday that svn.html still mentioned the old draft.
There was another one, N1137, in between those two.

> * The draft minutes say:
>
>     TR 24732 - Decimal Floating Point. The committee revising IEEE 754R
>     has run into a significant issue in the revision. TR 24732 depends on
>     that document. There is nothing we can do to proceed with that TR
>     until the key issues are resolved. We need to tell SC22 what our plans
>     are for proceeding. Fred volunteered to work with Edison to develop a
>     rationale.
>
> I don't know what the issue with 754R is and how it affects dfp-branch,
> but I presume the DFP developers are following 754R development and know
> about and understand the issue and its impact.

Yes, Ben and I have been in contact with Edison about changes and have
let him know about holes in the draft that we've discovered while
implementing it.  N1150 and its successors can't become stable until
IEEE 754R is finalized.  The support we will submit for GCC 4.2 must be
considered experimental; the documentation will state that clearly.

Janis