Re: non mainstream hardware.

Brian Makin wrote:
Is there any need for people providing access to non
mainstream/commercial hardware?

There are various services for this that are already available. HP for instance has the testdrive program
http://www.testdrive.hp.com
You can get free access to various systems here. The web site seems to be rather slow today though. Similarly, Sourceforge has a Compile Farm. Most workstation vendors probably have similar systems available.

A gcc bootstrap might be considered an abuse of some of these systems. You might want to ask about that before trying it. Still, access to systems is available if one has sufficient motivation. The real problem here is lack of motivation. If I don't know anyone using alpha-vma for instance, then I'm unlikely to volunteer to fix alpha-vms bugs.
--
Jim Wilson, GNU Tools Support, http://www.specifix.com