Re: backslash whitespace newline

Daniel Berlin wrote:

I believe every opinion anyone could ever have about this issue has been
put forth, and nobody on either side has been convinced of anything,
other than that the other side just doesn't get it.

Well the purpose of the discussion here is precisely to see
if there is a consensus for change. I think everyone understands
the issue perfectly well on each side, but the answer is clearly
no, there is no consensus for changing things.

I'm sorry, did it require 200 emails for people to figure this out? I'd think that we could have stopped at 10, maybe less.

Ah, to be young again and always know the correct answer right away. :-)

But these kinds of issues do get tough when one looks outside the echo
chamber of GCC compiling itself.

This mailing list is supposed to be for useful technical discussion. When it was clear there was no consensus, and no patch had been produced, the thread just turned into bickering between the participants.

What, did you get a connection to "the intarnets" 15 minutes ago?
This has been my experience with technical mailing lists since I
first got on the net 23 years ago. The daring might even venture to
say it's... human nature. (Yes yes, I know there are subscribers
whose human status is doubtful, but I'm feeling generous today. :-) )

Stan