Re: backslash whitespace newline

On Oct 26, 2005, at 9:28 AM, Joe Buck wrote:
This is a case of unspecified behavior.

?

That's what we have standards for: so that compilers work the same way
for standard-conformant code.

But in this case, we are talking about the behavior when the compiler is
given code with *unspecified* behavior. I believe that people should not
be writing such code.

? No. Please read the C++ standard again:

1.4.13 unspecified behavior [defns.unspecified]
behavior, for a well-formed program construct and correct data, that
depends on the implementation. The implementation is not required to
document which behavior occurs. [Note: usually, the range of possible
behaviors is delineated by the Standard. ]

1 Physical source file characters are mapped, in an implementation-
defined manner

Now, before you claim that people should not write code that relies upon implementation defined behavior, realize that the sentence above makes all possible programs reliant upon implementation defined behavior.