Re: Question on proposed use of "svn switch"

On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 at 01:05:46PM -0400, Richard Kenner wrote:
> I just finished reading the SVN manual. This was the 1.1 version, so I hope
> there's nothing important in the newer versions.
>
> Somebody at one point asked how to have a subdirectory of the repository
> that wouldn't be touched so they could have something entirely different
> in it.  I think "svn switch" was suggested, but I can't find that message.
> I recall it being some URL like file:/dev/null, but when I read the manual,
> I find that the operand of "svn switch" needs to be in the same repository
> as the rest of the working directory, so I'm confused.

It was simpler than that: Dan created an empty directory in the GCC
repository to switch to.

Googling for "gcc svn switch" took me directly to the Wiki page, which
covers this; it's under setup:

  svn switch svn+ssh://gcc.gnu.org/svn/gcc/emptydir libada

> Here's what I need to do and I welcome suggestions: one of the working
> directories I have is the FSF GCC repository (from HEAD), but the
> gcc/ada subdirectory is the AdaCore repository.  For cvs, what I do in
> gcc/CVS/Entries is delete the line for "ada" and then checkout the AdaCore
> repository into there.  What's the way to do this in svn?

I think you would need to do something a bit more complicated for this,
using svk.  Among other things, this should let you combine multiple
conceptual "repositories".  But I'll defer this one to our experts.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC