Re: svn tag inspection

Giovanni Bajo wrote:

Jeffrey A Law <law@redhat.com> wrote:

In fact, after the subversion conversion is over, we can "svn
delete" all those merging tags for good since they're there because
you can't delete them in CVS but we really don't need them anymore
(before anybody asks: "svn delete" keeps history of course).

Just a minor correction, you can certainly delete cvs tags.  It
just isn't something I'd necessarily recommend doing :-)

cvs tag -d <tag>

I think that is not a versioned operatoin (but I might be wrong).

It's not.

The point is
that with svn you can remove all those tags as versioned operations, so you are really not destroying past history,

Just to make this completely clear: removing a tag in SVN simply means that you remove the tag rirectory in HEAD. The tag (directory) still exists in previous revisions, so you can still, e.g., do a diff between two deleted tags. However, by deleting obsolete tags, you reduce the size of the tags directory in HEAD, thus obviously speeding up any queries amongs the current tags.

and you're making the tags list much more
meaningful and useful for everyday use. IMO we should do the same with closed
branches, they really serve no purpose there in /branches in the current
revision, we can safely "svn rm" them (or move to a /branches/closed subdir).

Giovanni Bajo

--
-- Brane