Re: A couple more subversion notes

On Thu, Oct 20, 2005 at 11:51:28AM +0200, Giovanni Bajo wrote:
> I'm going to write something in the wiki about svk. There's much FUD
> spreading in this thread.

Let's be careful about use of that term.  FUD, as originally used,
described a marketing strategy first conceived by IBM, and later picked up
by Microsoft, to try to scare people away from using competitors' projects
by deceptive tactics, so while I'm sure Giovanni did not intend it that
way, some might read the use of the term "FUD" as an accusation.

It's quite proper for people to have some concerns and uncertainty
about moving to a new system, and many of those people don't know anything
about subversion.  Please treat their questions and doubts with respect.

> DanJ put up a wiki page on the OpenSSH configuration (which really could be
> found with 3 minutes of googling, which is shorter than writing a mail asking
> information about it [not speaking of you, gaby]).

Correct, but if you read this thread, you'll notice that Dan has answered
many questions that aren't yet addressed in the wiki.  Of course, the
wiki will improve, but it does not yet answer all the questions.

> It might end up being not
> strictly necessary if DannyB sets up a read-only svn:// repository (no SSH
> required), but I'm sure that a release manager as you wants to have very fast
> ssh connections to gcc.gnu.org also for other reasons.

I think we should try to optimize the read-only access case, since large
numbers of testers (including me) normally just need read-only access.
Since one of the concerns raised was the speed of diffs, that might be
the best way to address that problem.